I need info about Walter Becker's rape conviction
Garrison Hilliard
2004-10-05 15:32:24 UTC
Back in the early 'eighties, Walter Becker was convicted of rape
and did some hard time in Hawaii... does anybody have the details of the case?
Patrick Powell
2004-10-06 02:12:15 UTC
Post by Garrison Hilliard
Back in the early 'eighties, Walter Becker was convicted of rape
and did some hard time in Hawaii... does anybody have the details of the case?
I thought the malicious rumour which did the rounds (bearing in mind that
most people really want to believe something bad about any celeb no matter
how minor that celeb might be) was that he had sex with a minor?
Garrison Hilliard
It wasn't just a rumour... the man was convicted of statutory rape and served time in Hawaii. I'm just trying to find a case history.
Patrick Powell
2004-10-06 06:27:29 UTC
Post by Garrison Hilliard
Post by Patrick Powell
Post by Garrison Hilliard
Back in the early 'eighties, Walter Becker was convicted of rape
and did some hard time in Hawaii... does anybody have the details of the case?
I thought the malicious rumour which did the rounds (bearing in mind that
most people really want to believe something bad about any celeb no matter
how minor that celeb might be) was that he had sex with a minor?
It wasn't just a rumour... the man was convicted of statutory rape and served
time in Hawaii. I'm just trying to find a case history.
Well, such things are a matter of public record and you should be able to
contact the authorities in Hawaii or, alternatively, one of the main
newspapers who should have the details in their library.
Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 06:11:17 UTC
What a bunch of BULLSHIT!
Patrick Powell
2004-10-07 08:23:53 UTC
As I said earlier on this claim could be substantiated or - more likely -
refuted by contacting the Downtown Planet, the Fil-Am Courier, The Hawaii
Independent, the Honolulu Advertiser, The Honoulu Star-Bulletin or the Ka
Upena Kukui which are all Honolulu based. Email their newsdesk or better,
ring up (email are easier to ignore).

Alternatively, get in touch with their libraries. But has the originil
writer googled "Walter Becker" and "statutory rape" which should through up,
at the very least, some slight allusion to a past news story. Ignore any
other sites as the web is even fuller of bullshit than the world at large.

And I'll repeat my earlier point that people are forever more than willing
to believe something nasty about a celeb which is probably how this
particular rumour started. What is known is that in the early to mid
Nineties he was a heroin addict and that a girlfriend killed herself and he
himself was injured in a car accident.
What a bunch of BULLSHIT!
Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 12:07:09 UTC
What is known is that in the early to mid Nineties he was a heroin
addict

Wrong- By the early nineties he was off the stuff. He used from the late
70's to the early 80's. He moved to Hawaii in the 80's to get away from
it.
and that a girlfriend killed herself
Wrong- his girlfriend dies of an unintentional drug overdose.
and he himself was injured in a car accident.
Wrong- He got hit by a car walking across the street.
the man was convicted of statutory rape and served time in Hawaii.
Wrong! Get your facts straight!
Patrick Powell
2004-10-07 13:35:36 UTC
Post by Patrick Powell
What is known is that in the early to mid Nineties he was a heroin
addict
Wrong- By the early nineties he was off the stuff. He used from the late
70's to the early 80's. He moved to Hawaii in the 80's to get away from
it.
and that a girlfriend killed herself
Wrong- his girlfriend dies of an unintentional drug overdose.
and he himself was injured in a car accident.
Wrong- He got hit by a car walking across the street.
the man was convicted of statutory rape and served time in Hawaii.
Wrong! Get your facts straight!
Why are you so pissed off, for God's sake? I'm the guy saying don't believe
every piece of tittle-tattle.
Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 14:07:09 UTC
Post by Patrick Powell
Why are you so pissed off, for God's sake?
You're the one saying don't believe the rumors. And in the next breath
you're starting the rumors. You said "what is known" and proceeded to
give false information as fact. What in the heck is "what is known"?
It's not "known" to me.
Patrick Powell
2004-10-07 17:32:47 UTC
Post by Larry Stokes
Post by Patrick Powell
Why are you so pissed off, for God's sake?
You're the one saying don't believe the rumors. And in the next breath
you're starting the rumors. You said "what is known" and proceeded to
give false information as fact. What in the heck is "what is known"?
It's not "known" to me.
Look, sunshine, I don't, as a matter of fact, take much interest in these
things and tend to leave them to smaller minds - I have better things to do,
like fart every so often. I was merely stating what has been known and got
the dates and details wrong. So Becker was a smack addict in the 80s bnot
90s. Big deal. The pertinent fact is that he was an addict. But I doubt very
much that he is/was a rapist.
PP
Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 20:17:27 UTC
as a matter of fact, I don't take much interest in these things
Well, you have enough interest to go on a Steely Dan newsgroup and talk
about it.
I have better things to do, like fart every so often.
Your posts smell pretty bad as well.
I was merely stating what has been known and got the dates and details
wrong.

Right. And that's how ugly rumors start. If you don't know what you're
talking about keep your mouth shut.
Jake Wildstrom
2004-10-07 16:10:54 UTC
Post by Larry Stokes
and he himself was injured in a car accident.
Wrong- He got hit by a car walking across the street.
It may seem a bit pedantic, but getting hit by a car _is_ getting
'injured in a car accident'.
--
D. Jacob (Jake) Wildstrom, Math monkey and freelance thinker

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
-Alfred Renyi

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily endorsed by the
University of California or math department thereof.
Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 16:52:09 UTC
It may seem a bit pedantic, but getting hit by a car is getting
'injured in a car accident'.

True, but......When you say "he was in a car accident" 99 out of 100
people would think the injured person (in this case Becker) would be the
driver or a passenger in the car. If the person telling the story knew
the victim was hit by a car crossing the street he would say just that.
He obviously had no idea that was the case. He also said WB's girlfriend
killed herself. When you say that it sounds like she did it on purpose.
When in reality, she died of an unintentional drug overdose. You can
say "technically" she did kill herself. Just like "he was in a car
accident". What I'm saying is that if you're going to rattle off
statements as fact, at least be accurate.
Patrick Powell
Get out a bit more
Mike Smith
2004-10-08 03:19:28 UTC
Post by Patrick Powell
But has the originil
writer googled "Walter Becker" and "statutory rape" which should through up,
at the very least, some slight allusion to a past news story.
Well, I just did - and the closest references I found were:

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/258627
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/20/1055828480766.html?oneclick=true

--
Mike Smith

mjoann
2004-10-06 12:30:17 UTC
Post by Patrick Powell
I thought the malicious rumour which did the rounds (bearing in mind that
most people really want to believe something bad about any celeb no matter
how minor that celeb might be) was that he had sex with a minor?
I'm a huge Walter Becker fan, and don't necessarily want to believe
anything bad about him... but seriously, I think it is probable that he
did have sex with a minor. He is a "rock star" with a drug filled past.
So many musicians have been in trouble for similar things (Don Henley
comes to mind, and Bill Wyman with his 13 year old girlfriend.)

mjoann
Don ßåiley

db
Garrison Hilliard
2004-10-06 15:48:11 UTC
Post by Don ßåiley
What did Henley do?
Found with two naked 13 year old girls at his place (also an early 'eighties case).
Jon
2004-10-06 17:53:24 UTC
Well, what more proof do we need then? After all, 'he is a "rock star"
with a drug filled past.' Hope you never end up on MY jury!
mike barrel
2004-10-07 14:47:02 UTC
What is this guy's problem? A groups advanced search on his user name
is illuminating .... see this exchange from last year.
June 12, 2003
Age, Language, Rock 'n' Roll
By NEIL STRAUSS
OS ANGELES ? When it was announced that this week Steely Dan was
releasing its ninth studio album, the news came as something of a
surprise. After all, it took the band 20 years to release a follow-up
to their 1980 "Gaucho" album.
Only because Walter Becker was in prison for rape... something that
wasn't mentioned in their Grammy acceptance speech.
That follow-up, "Two Against Nature,"
won Steely Dan its first-ever Grammy, for album of the year in 2001,
beating Eminem for the night's top award (not to mention for risqué
lyrics, in Steely Dan's case about incest and statutory rape).
Hey, who should know better?

Larry Stokes
2004-10-07 15:27:34 UTC
Age, Language, Rock 'n' Roll By NEIL STRAUSS
Hey, who should know better?
Not Neil Strauss. Didn't anyone ever teach you not to believe everything
you read? This shit is absolutely not true.